October 17, 2007

Are you kidding me?

I'm having another moment like this. My English class continues to hit on debatable topics. This weeks discussion was over an essay about seven women body builders who participated in an interview where they were asked questions about their lives. Also how their choices had positive and negative effects in the society around them. The main idea of the essay centered around how they were going against the "norm" of how women should look. Ultimately, the women love what they do and all the negative associations they receive from it, they let roll off their backs.

My teacher asked us how we felt about women body builders in general. The consensus (excluding me) was that it was gross and women shouldn't look like men therefore they shouldn't be doing it (the latter was partially implied). Are-you-kidding-me?! These women are doing what they love and why shouldn't they? How many people can actually say they do what they love every day? So what if they don't look like your perfectly arranged model. They like how they look and work hard for it. No one should say they can't continue to body build because they don't fit in.

It really bothers me that so many people are wrapped up in body image to the extent that if it's not normal, then it's bad. Give me a break. I think it's important to be healthy and fit but that doesn't always mean looking like a one of those umbrellas people put in drinks (big on top, tiny on bottom). Body shapes vary for one, not to mention the million of other factors that play a role in how women, in particular, look. I'm not a thin person, but I have lost 20 lbs since summer. I'm trying to be more healthy and more fit by doing things that I love. These women body builders are no different.

They may look more masculine, but I can see a feminine side. So don't tell me that they can't continue to do what they love just because they aren't normal. In my opinion, there isn't a normal, but there are individuals.

(Note: I don't have a problem with women body builders who go through the process naturally. However, I am completely against the use of steroids, which some women body builders use. I'm an all-natural kind of girl. :D )

No comments: