March 26, 2009

There's a crisis going on

Didn't you know? You can always turn on the TV, it's said about a million times a day. People are looking to refinance their mortgages, looking into insurance quotes to save money, cutting back expenses to start saving, all in case the "crisis" hits them. I don't disagree times are harder now than they were a few years ago. But from what I've read, I don't think things are as bad as they were during the depression, thankfully! And yet, we keep hearing about a crisis that's being likened to the depression and I'm beginning to wonder if that term keeps getting used in order to scare people. I don't know for sure, but I have wondered. I think if people were smarter and wiser when it came to money, we may not be in this situation at all. Just my opinion.

1 comment:

Jen said...

It's a new situation with new people- the people who should have learned are old and gone now. lol.
It is bad out there, and it is getting worse, our unemployment rate is not at healthy numbers. In 1930 the unemployment rate went from 3.2 to 8.7 percent. (We are now at 8.5%). The next year they saw it go from 8.7 to 15.9. The third year it skyrocketed to 23.6%. Our Prophet has advised our Bishops to let us know at tithing settlement that things won't be getting better, so it is possible we could be looking at another depression. Hopefully not, but it's possible.