July 04, 2007

Potty Trained!

I think Oldest is potty trained! She's been in underwear all day for the past few days and has only had one accident. We've been out in public and she's been doing fine with that too. Last night was the first time I left her in underwear and she did awesome! She was up once to go potty and kept dry the rest of the night. WOOHOO! It felt like we would never get to this day but we did. I've learned a few things, maybe they can help you in your potty training adventures.

I wanted Oldest to be PT months ago. So I kept trying over and over again. She kept *failing* over and over again. We were both frustrated. But I just *knew* she was 99% ready. I came to realize that I was ready but she was not. But because I wanted her to be, so badly, I kept at it. I finally gave up. It was the smartest thing I ever did. Pushing her when she wasn't ready was getting us no where. You may want your child PT by age 3 but some kids just aren't ready. My daughter is almost 3 and I thought we'd be way done by now. But I realized my thinking was wrong so I stopped pushing and soon she was ready and here we are. A few days of *training* and she's been good to go.

The only other thing I've noticed is not to ask her incessantly if she has to go potty. For her, it made her not want to go because I asked so much. When she's ready, she tells me. So 99% of the time I wait for her to say something. It's worked.

I hope that helps. :) I'm glad to have one less in diapers!

5 comments:

Ginabear said...

YAY!! This is me clapping and doing cartwheels for all of you! Its such a relief when you get to the point of no diapers! Congrats! Yay! She deserves some chocolate and so do you cuz you are a good mommy and know when to be patient! I think I had a party when my last one was finally trained! Awesome feeling huh?

Beth said...

Wow; congratulations!! That's terrific. :-)

Kara said...

I'm jealous :D Toddler did good for a few weeks potty training but now won't go on it hardly ever. It's hard to be patient and wait for him to want to do it lol.

Kate said...

WOOHOO . . . WTG! :)

Lorie said...

That is so good! Send some of those potty training vibes my way!