April 16, 2007

The latest

If you read my previous post you'll know that we went to the allergist, again. We've been trying to figure out what in the mint Oreo blizzards from DQ our youngest is allergic to. She broke out twice after eating them. Today we found out it's the mint. The Dr didn't have a highly concentrated mint to test with but it was still positive. So no mint for her. It's better than peanuts IMO. :) I'm glad we finally know what it is.

Something interesting though. Her first allergy test, the Dr said she tested positive for being allergic to eggs. Well that particular day her eczema was really bad and to us it looked more like eczema than a positive reaction to egg. But we went along with the Dr although we didn't really agree. We stayed away from eggs for a month and she was fine. But deep down, I just felt like she really wasn't allergic to eggs. So we very slowly tested our theory and she never broke out. I asked the Dr about it and he said you can have a positive skin test but not have a reaction.

I thought that was different, but again I went along with him. I still wasn't sure and today when she was tested for the mint, I asked to have the egg tested again also. The Dr was puzzled about why and he tried again to explain that it was indeed a positive test the first time. But I still had this gut feeling. He retested and low and behold it was negative. He didn't say anything about it.

Moral: ALWAYS trust your instincts and don't feel bad for having a different opinion than a Dr.

3 comments:

Kate said...

I agree . . . always trust your gut . . . they may have the "knowledge", but you know your body and your kids' bodies better than they ever will!
I'm so glad that she's not allergic to eggs . . .

Kara said...

that's good it's the mint and not something that's harder to stay away from :) And go you for trusting your gut!

Stacey said...

They don't call it a mother's instinct for nothing! I'm glad she is not allergic to eggs. :)