I see him almost everyday. The same spot. Doing the same thing. I wonder why, but I have yet to ask. I first met him a few weeks ago. Next to a tree, eating. I smiled and kept walking, not thinking twice about it. But then I saw him the next day and the next and the next and almost everyday since then. He's always doing the same thing, staring at me and eating. I walk by, I smile, he stops eating and watches me until I get about 50 feet away then goes back to eating.
I don't really know his name, I've never asked. But the other day I found Chester to be the most fitting. So now when I walk by I smile and silently say "hello Chester." No, I haven't mustered up the courage to actually say hi. It's strange because usually I'm not one to not say hi to someone. Maybe it's because a smile usually is a form of saying hi. You know, you smile, nod your head. That's sort of a universal hi right?
I didn't see Chester today. I admit I was a little disappointed. Maybe he was in class or there was a family emergency. Does he even have a family? I didn't see a ring, just food and the usual stare. Maybe I should take a different route. I wouldn't want to give him the wrong idea. What would people think? Maybe I'll see him on Friday. Maybe I should say hi out loud.
Oh, by the way, Chester is a squirrel, in case you were wondering.
September 20, 2006
Chester
Posted by
Michelle
at
9:06 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)






5 comments:
gosh . . . say hi to the squirrel already! lol :)
LOL! Maybe you should rally give people the wrong idea and scratch his belly!
Uh... I mean Really, not rally, butterfingers.
oh michelle, I was waiting for you to say at the beginning of the story it was an animal but by the end you had me!! LOL
Ok, so I was about to say hi on Friday. You know what he did?? He ran up the tree and started throwing nuts at me! I'm seriously not kidding. So I yelled at him "hello to you too Chester!" Then I laughed all the way to my car. He's going to get it come Monday. Hee hee.
Post a Comment