February 18, 2010

Texas Cream of Potato Soup

Let me preface this post by saying we don't eat a lot of soups. Why? There's not many we like. Occasionally, chicken noodle soup or tomato, but even those are pretty rare. Now, I've tried to make soup before but there wasn't a recipe worth repeating. Until now!! Holy banana peel, this recipe is so divinely yummy! I think my SIL gave it to me years ago but it was lost amongst all of my other recipes. I'm glad I found it because we loved it. My husband made this and he said other than taking a little time to throw together, it was easy to do. He didn't add the onion or celery, but it still turned out delicious. If you like soup or even if you don't like soup, you should try this recipe. It's so good!! I can't wait for dinner tomorrow. :D

Texas Cream of Potato Soup

Ingredients:

3 cups

Potatoes, peeled and cubed

1 cup

Carrots, sliced

8 oz

Bacon

1 cup

Onion, chopped

1 cup

Celery, chopped

2 cups

Half and half

1 cup

Velveeta cheese, cubed

¼ tsp

Parsley flakes

¼ tsp

Celery salt

¼ tsp

Garlic salt

1 ½ tsp

Salt

¼ tsp

Black pepper

2 TBS

Cornstarch

2 cups

Milk


Directions:

1. Boil potatoes and carrots in pot (just barely cover with water) until done. Drain and set aside.

2. Cook bacon until crisp. Reserve bacon drippings and sauté celery and onion in drippings for 10 minutes.

3. Combine in pot, potatoes, bacon, sautéed vegetables and next 7 ingredients.

4. Stir cornstarch into milk and then put in soup.

5. Simmer about 30 minutes.

1 comment:

Kate said...

that sounds yummy! bookmarking this recipe for future (hopefully soon!) reference! :) thanks!