May 27, 2008

Movie Review

It's been a month since I've done one of these, so here's an update. Feel free to share movies you would or would not recommend. :)

"The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian" - Hubby and I saw this for a date night and really enjoyed it. I'm not thrilled with the ending (no spoilers, sorry!) but I can see why things happened the way they did. The only problem I had with this was the scene with the White Witch because it had two really creepy looking characters in it. Other than that, it was good and I give it my recommendation.

"Monarch of the Glen" - I love BBC and found this TV series to be pretty good. Archie MacDonald comes to find out he's the new laird of Glenbogle, his family's home. He's been away for a long time and only came home thinking his father was dying. Surprised at his new, and unwelcomed position, Archie must figure out what he's going to do. Leave Glenbogle and never look back, or stay and help his family keep their home. I love the Scottish scenery and history that this show presents. It was a nice change from regular American TV. I would recommend it.

"Persuasion" (2007) - In this review, I mentioned watching the 1995 movie version of Jane Austen's book. While I enjoyed both, this newer version, is my favorite of the two. The story seemed to movie quicker and make more sense which I why I prefer it. I would recommend both versions though. :)

"Horton Hears a Who!" - Hubby took Miss A to see this and he said it was really cute. It even captured Miss A's two year old attention all the way through. He told me a few funny parts and now I want to see it too. lol He recommends it as a fun family movie to go see.

"Bed of Roses" - This is a cute little romance movie. Lisa is an investment banker who ends up having a secret admirer. The course that follows throws her for a loop and she's not sure what to do. While I didn't LOVE the movie, I did enjoy it. A good one to watch every now and then.

"Nim's Island" - I took Miss J to see this and it was cute. Miss J liked the animals, but at three years old, she became fidgety 3/4 of the way through. For the most part it kept her attention and she had fun. As for me, I felt the characters could have been more developed (this coming from someone who watches movies to just watch and not decipher lol) and the story made less choppy. My main problem, it felt rushed. But, I would still recommend it. I won't buy it, but I would watch it again.

"Pay it Forward" - First off, I didn't like the swearing and a few scenes in this, which is why I won't recommend it. But I did love the concept that was portrayed. Trevor McKinney, for a school assignment, comes up with the idea to help three people. Then those three people will in turn help three other people and so on, each person doing something for someone else that they would not have been able to do for themselves. At first he doesn't think his idea worked because the three people he tried to help, didn't respond at first. But later, his idea helps more than he ever thought possible. After watching it, I can only imagine what would happen if more people followed this idea, how the world would be a better place.

"Mystery Science Theater 3000" (MST3K) - I remember watching this when I was a kid and thought it was hilarious. Uh, no. I watched one episode and it was filled with so many inuendos I couldn't believe it. I don't remember it being that bad when I was a kid, wow. It was so funny to me then, but not anymore. No recommendation from me, sorry Servo and Crow.

"Believe in Me" - Set in the 1960's and based on a true story, coach Clay Driscoll expected to coach the boys basketball team but ends up with the girls. He's not happy about it but comes to realize the girls are willing to work just as hard as the boys. This movie was a good watch and inspirational to boot!

"Snow White" (2000) - No, no, no. I couldn't get through 15 minutes before I had to turn this off. Too creepy for me and not one I will recommend.

"Daniel Doronda" - This movie was based on the book by George Elliot. Not my favorite movie and I ended up fast forwarding through many scenes because I was bored and some parts I just didn't care for. Not one I recommend.

"Northanger Abbey" - As per Netflix, this is a "made-for-TV adaptation of Jane Austen's posthumously published gothic parody." The storyline is more or less a typical Jane Austen setting; boy and girl like each other but situations and trials keep them apart until the end. The parts I didn't like were those of Catherine's off and on romantic fantasies. Not one of my favorites and I would only recommend it if you really, really, want to see it.

No comments: