Recently I received an email about a supposed 3 year old who witnessed childbirth. I've been thinking on the topic and if I would let my own children watch. For me, I would have to see how mature my children were before I would allow them to witness me in full on labor. I would want them to understand what was going on to a certain extent, so as not to frighten them.
So what are your thoughts?
March 06, 2007
What do you think?
Posted by
Michelle
at
3:32 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)






7 comments:
I would have to go by their maturity, and if they want to be there. I think it would scare young kids, and they wouldn't really understand what's going on.
I agree with you and Kara. I think it could definitely be a special experience for children to be present at the birth of a sibling especially, but only if they are ready/willing.
Critique My Blog got your critique up :D
I was 21 before I witnessed a vaginal birth! LOL I think *I* might have been too young! LOL Since I'm having planned c/s' from now on it's of course Daddy-room-only but I doubt I'd let my kids in unless it was a teenage daughter I wanted to traumatize or something ;)
BTW - hi! And I love the song, my kids love singing it and they're sitting under the desk screaming "I wanna talk about me!!!"
Dawn- lol at wanting to traumatize a teen daughter! At my last birth my little sis was there, she was 17 and swore she would never have kids after that!
I don't know. Perhaps depends on the kid, although I don't think all 3 of my kids who have been 3 was the type who would have been a)interested b)understood it or c)wouldn't have gotten totally bored waiting, and obnoxious!
Having said that, I can understand as a mother, and especially if you were "granola" wanting your children growing up with the "facts of life" and being "part of the experience". Otherwise, I think it should be a time for couples to welcome their newest creation together, and not with all kinds of family in the room. But that's just me ;)
Dawn - welcome. :D I'm glad you and your kids like the song. It makes me want to dance a jig.
Mimo - I agree that it's a time for couples to be together and welcome their newest addition. I would probably only be ok with it if I had the baby at home because I couldn't get to the hospital.
Post a Comment