September 19, 2009

My pregnancy so far

So many things have happened during this pregnancy and I realized, I haven't really talked about it on my blog. So here's my update of the past five months.

Symptoms - early on, I struggled with orthostatic hypotension, or in other words, dizziness. This made things difficult when I was finishing up my clinical. At first, I thought it was because of my low blood pressure, which I've never had during a pregnancy, but then I realized it was more because of my blood glucose levels. So, I started making sure I was eating healthy snacks all day long and that really helped me feel better. But now, my dizziness has come back despite my eating habits. I know this is pretty common in pregnancy, especially as women get further along, so I try to change positions slowly and drink enough water.

Other symptoms include nausea. I had this the whole time with my girls but this time it's been a little better. I had two friends recommend taking one B6 vitamin and 1/2 of a Unisom everyday to help combat my nausea and it's really helped. I've thrown up a handful of times but nothing compared to my last two pregnancies - yay!

Also, I'm still losing weight. Again, this is pretty normal for me. I had lost about 13+ lbs and at my last appointment, only about 2 more. This is about the time my body starts turning around and gaining weight. The last two times, I never gained back all that I lost, so when the baby was born, I was well below my pre-pregnancy weight. That was nice. This time, I don't think I'll be that lucky but I don't mind. As long as the baby is healthy and I'm healthy, I'm fine with it. :)

Body changes - I thought I would get bigger faster this time around considering this is my 3rd pregnancy. My clothes did start to get snug much earlier this time, around 8-9 weeks. Around 10-11 weeks I decided it was time to pull out my maternity clothes but alas, nothing fit! Breastfeeding two children and having non-shrinking boobs made all my clothes tight. Drat! But on the bright side, I was able to buy some cute new maternity clothes. :)

My tummy is getting larger, but it's still pretty small. Well, smaller than I thought it would be at 5 months. I don't like that people look at me and don't believe that I'm pregnant. I guess I still look fat lol. But it's ok, I'll be big enough in no time and no one will doubt hee hee!

Complications - The only complications I've had this time is that I've been experiencing contractions. That's never happened before, until I was in labor. My midwife says it's probably due to being dehydrated and I believe her. I drink water, but not enough some days, so I have to keep working on that. Plus, I've been in more pain. The baby is so low and presses on my pubic bone and pelvic bones so much, that it makes it really uncomfortable and painful to walk. It's not fun, but we manage. :)

Fun things - The baby has really started to move that last few weeks. It's kind of funny to say "Oh!" in the middle of class because it takes me by surprise, but it's fun. A few weeks ago Spouse felt the baby move for the first time and that's always neat. I can't wait for the girls to be able to feel the movement too! Oh, and our big ultrasound is in TWO DAYS! We can't wait to find out if we're having a boy or a girl. We're thinking girl, but we'd be happy either way. Look for an update on facebook Monday evening!

Overall, despite how much harder this pregnancy has been, we are grateful to be pregnant at all. We've wait a long three years but it's been worth it. It's a wonderful feeling to be able to add another little joy to our family. We couldn't be happier. :)

7 comments:

Beth said...

That was interesting to read; thanks for sharing; hope the symptoms/complications get less intense (can that happen??). :-) I'm excited to hear whether your new little one's a boy or a girl!!

Michelle said...

Interesting good or interesting bad? I just re-read it and don't think it came across right. *sigh*

Kate said...

can't speak for Beth, but I thought it was interesting-good! :)
soooo excited to see if you're having a boy or a girl! :)

Kara said...

For some reason I feel very baby hungry when I hear about other people's pregnancies lately lol. Somebody slap me! Totally not ready to have another yet, I just forget all the hard stuff and only remember the fun stuff. :)

With all of mine I've had braxton-hicks cntrx start before I even hit 20wks, but last time they weren't as bad and I think it was because I was drinking tons of water, so hopefully if you drink more water you won't have so many cntrx.

I can't wait to hear if it's another girl or a boy!

Cami Jo said...

I did the b6 and 1/2 a unisom when I was preggo w/Carson, and it really helped me too. oh....I remember all those symptoms so well. Good luck for the nextt 4 months. I hope it goes quickly for ya! I too, can't wait to find out what you are having! Let me know if you need any help.

Unknown said...

WOW! I didn't know you were pregnant! Congratulations that is the best news ever!!! I'm sorry you haven't been feeling well, I have never heard about the B6 vitamin and unisom I will have to try that next time. That is so crazy that you loose weight during pregnancy and don't get any bigger! I wish I was that way, I've never lost weight not even in the first trimester (I don't throw up and I'm basically always hungry :) That is soooo exciting that you are going to find out what your having so soon, so are you due January or February? Congratulations again you guys!!!

Unknown said...

That is so exciting you having another girl, you sure make cute ones! It will be fun to see what this little one will look like because you other two girls look completely different!
We are actually having another girl also, we are soooo excited! We are due in December, right around Christmas time :)
This is so fun, I hope I will get to see the beautiful little sometime. And good luck with the rest of school, its almost over!